Monday, March 30, 2009

I Left My Heart in San Francisco

I now Know what they mean when they say "I Left my Heart in San Francisco". Danny and I just got back from an amazing vacation to San Francisco. We left all the kids home, packed our carry-ons and were on our way. We arrived on Thursday morning and didn't come home until Sunday.
This is one of my favorites. We are at the Golden Gate Park inside the Conservatorium of Flowers. We had walked lots and lots this day and it was nice to sit down for a minute.
This is us on the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a little windy on the walk back.
Here we are at the bottom of Lombard Street. We walked there from our hotel which was about 1/2 a mile away all UP HILL! It was worth it though.
This is my favorite picture of Danny and Chris. They look like they are having lots of fun!
This picture is of me and Danny on the wharf. It was a gorgeous day and we had just gotten done eating at Bubba Gumps Fish house. Yummy Yummy fish and Shrimp! The Wharf had tons of shops and good places to eat.
We went with a friend of Danny's from UPS and his wife, Chris and Linda. This is a picture of all 4 of us at the Golden Gate Park at the Conservatorium of Flowers. When we first arrived they told us to get a bus pass and it was good for all of the cable cars, buses and trolleys.
We had to get our picture taken in front of the sea lion statue. There were real Sea Lions all over down by the wharf. We loved the noises they made. The Sea Lions made us think of Dylan for some reason.
This is at the top of Lombard Street. This street is in the Guiness Book of World Records. It also had an awesome view at the top. It was fun to see the line of cars just waiting to drive down it. We also got to meet the man who takes care of the street. It is not owned by the city and is totally funded by private donations. It was beautiful.
Here are all four of us at the Golden Gate Bridge. This was one of my favorite parts. We walked all the way across the bridge and then all the way back. It was so amazing. We saw huge ships go underneath and of course the bridge is very busy with cars. It was 2 miles one way. They also have phones all across the bridge telling people to call if they need crisis counceling. I don't know how people could even think of jumping cause I could barely look down over the bridge without being scared out of my mind. It was so much fun to just walk and talk and be able to hold Danny's hand for almost 2 hours straight! Maybe that was why I liked the bridge so much.

The last day we were there we went to Alcatraz. This was also tons of fun. We took the audio tour and learned so many interesting facts. It was really amazing.

Danny loves Chinese food so he kept telling us that we had to go to Chinatown and eat "REAL CHINESE FOOD". So we take the bus and just get off somewhere and start walking around. Everything is in Chinese and is kinda dirty so we just kept wandering hoping something would look good to Danny. Then we saw two American's and decided to ask if they were locals. They said yes so Danny asked them "Where is the best place to get good Chinese food?" There answer was "NOT IN CHINA TOWN" So needless to say we were all ready there and decided to tough it out and eat somewhere since we were starving. We saw a sign that said "all you can eat Chinese buffet for $5.99" so we were sold. The funny thing was once you got in there, there was also a sign that said "There is a charge of $5.99 for Wastage of food." The food was terrible so we were all trying to sneak our food into the garbage so we didn't have to pay. It was funny. But at least Danny can say he ate in Chinatown.
One of Danny's favorite parts was riding on the Trolley cars and hanging off the side. The conductors called this riding in "First Class".
I guess it wouldn't be San Francisco without all of the street peddlers wanting money. San Francisco has the largest homeless population in America. There were all kinds of people from all walks of life. This one was one of Danny's favorites. He was senile and was playing a violin that did not even work.

The trip was amazing and we had so much fun. We were so glad that Chris and Linda went with us. I think the best part was just spending time with my amazing husband. He really is the best and I just realized more and more how much I love him!

8 comments:

Traci said...

Monica it looks like you guys had SO much fun!! I bet it was amazing without kids. I have never been there it looks gorgeous thanks for sharing your pictures!!

Kallee said...

That bring back so very fond memories. I love that town. Let me know when you are going again. I loved rolling down, skipping and doing whatever else down Lombard Street. That makes me laugh about the Chinesse Food. Oh yeah, I almost forgot....some trolley conductor owes me a hat. I should have told you before, maybe you could have got it for me. ha ha ha

TJ and Shaylee Voss said...

Looks like fun! I want to go there someday! I'm glad you guys had a good time!

Brice said...

looks like you two had a great time...thanks for inviting me...oh wait, you DIDN'T invite me...oh well, maybe someday...

spaceyhawks said...

Oh my goodness! It makes me miss San Fran so bad. I wanna go back!!! I'm totally jealous, but so happy you and Danny had such a great time together. I had a blast with the girls and would watch them again in a heartbeat for you! Love ya!

Heidi said...

What a fun trip. How nice to just be with you hubby. Looks like an awesome time. I went there when Dajah was born over 13 years ago. We need to go there again. Great update!

Kristy said...

Looks like you had a blast on your trip....it must of been so good to get away just the two of you. Hey, if you get a minute let me know what hotel I can book for the Hawks family reunion, it will be so good to see everyone. Thanks a million.

Brittany said...

I love the post, and especially the picture of Danny with the guy playing his violin... You need to update this, I told you I was going to check! Now you have my blog too, by clicking on my name! I'm going in to Facebook right now to leave a comment for Derek ;-)